Chief Financial Officer
Supervised By: Chief Executive Officer
Supervises: Finance Manager, Grant Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt/Regular/Full-Time
Effective Date: 15 June 2020
How to apply: Interested applications should submit a cover letter, resume and a writing sample to HSNTeam@hsncfl.org with CFO in the subject line. Alternatively, applicants may mail this information to HSN; Re: CFO; 4065 L.B. McLeod Road, Suite D, Orlando, FL 32811. Resumes will be accepted until position is filled. Interviews begin the week of June 29, 2020.
The mission of the Homeless Services Network of Central Florida (HSN) is to facilitate a comprehensive and integrated system of services in Central Florida designed to ensure that any experience of homelessness is brief and rare. To that end, HSN coordinates homeless services across the tri-county region; provides system support services including HMIS, the Coordinated Entry System and Housing Location Services; and administers more than $6M in HUD funding, $3M in VA funding and $3.5M in local jurisdictional funding annually. The Chief Financial Officer will work directly for the Chief Executive Officer to oversee the Finance Division and Grants Division, maintain standards of compliance with Fiscal Policies and Procedures, US GAAP, grant and government reporting requirements, spending budgets, and staff the HSN Finance Committee.
Skills and Abilities
Ability to work with minimal supervision using an entrepreneurial approach while exercising good judgement; strong verbal and written communication skills to include report creation; data management and analyses skills; budgeting and budget forecasting; system development; program and system evaluation; ability to handle multiple tasks and manage competing demands; conflict resolution; team building; critical thinking, problem solving; meeting facilitation; interpersonal skills; business communication; customer service; standard office computer skills and financial computer skills.
Education and Experience
A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field, Masters preferred. 10+ years of experience in senior financial managerial position.
The position involves attention to detail and extensive organizational skills. The employee will work as part of a team, as well as interface with partner agency staff, partner agency leadership and funders. The employee will spend significant portions of time in the field, as well as in an office setting. This is a full-time position requiring 40 hours per week. Additional hours are sometimes required, and needed work is expected to be completed when and as needed as directed by the CEO, especially work deemed urgent or necessary, without regard for hours worked in any specific week. Work generally occurs Monday through Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Manage the financial resources of the organization including accounting, finance, and organization-wide budgets in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and organization/contract policies and procedures;
- Safeguard organizational assets through maintenance of proper controls;
- Ensure full transparency over the financial performance of the company
- Provide advice on how to increase revenue and reduce costs;
- Effectively and clearly communicate potential risks in a timely manner;
- Propose action plans to ensure that annual financial objectives are attainable, in consultation with the Grant Manager;
- Support the CEO with the preparation of monthly and annual financial plans;
- Staff the HSN Finance Committee;
- Maintain speed and accuracy of billing and client payments;
- Coordinate, manage, oversee and produce all tax documentation as required;
- Create and manage annual budget for the organization including development of budget projections and timesheet reconciliation tools. Consult with CEO, COO, Grant Manager and Finance Manager in preparation of funding budget proposals, sub recipient agency requirements and other high level financial matters;
- Review finance-related portions of all contracts, grants and sub-recipient agreements;
- Liaison between HSN and employment leasing company;
- Hire and maintain accounting and finance staffing appropriate for the accurate execution of all procedures in a consistent and accurate manner;
- Participate as member of the senior management team in development and implementation of organization-wide policies and programs that will contribute to the agency’s overall success;
- Other duties as assigned in support of HSN’s mission.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Hold a valid driver license in accordance with HSN’s Motor Vehicle Policy;
Ability to use one’s personal vehicle for daily duties with reimbursement;
CA, CMA or CPA.
Conditions of Employment
Satisfactory reference and background investigation checks;
Completion of a pre-employment drug screening and completion of post-employment drug or alcohol tests upon reasonable suspicion of use;
Demonstrated computer literacy through successful completion of pre-employment testing may be required;
Submitted sample of prior written communications, both email and otherwise;
Completion of all required paperwork prior to reporting to work;
Participation in payroll electronic deposit;
Compliance with all HSN Policies and Procedures.
Annual Salary Range $100,000 – $115,000, based upon experience.
Advanced computer skills, including proficiency in MS Office and nonprofit accounting software, proficiency with Abila preferred;
Financial data analysis and report creation experience is preferred;
Strong verbal, analytical, organizational and written skills;
Problem solving abilities;
Leadership skills and strategic vision;
Strong work ethic;
Familiarity with public and private grant programs and grants management (knowledge of HUD and/or VA housing and homeless assistance programs strongly preferred);
Passionate about HSN’s mission and able to promote and communicate the philosophy, mission and values of HSN to external and internal stakeholders;
Ability to balance and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously;
Ability to work independently with supervision.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate in person or by telephone. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk and bend; to use his or her hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; and to reach with his or her hands and arms. The employee must also be able to sit for extended periods of time. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move object weighing up to 40 pounds.
This job description is not intended to provide, and should not be construed as providing, an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with a job. They are meant to be accurate reflections of the principal job elements essential for making fair and informed decisions about the job.
Veterans, Persons of Color and Current or Formerly Homeless Persons are encouraged to apply.
Homeless Services Network of Central Florida [HSN] provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, HSN complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.