Director of Communication & Public Affairs
Homeless Services Network (HSN) of Central Florida is committed to the vision of “Everyone making their way home.” HSN’s mission is leading the Central Florida’s community-wide effort to end homelessness through collaboration, strategy, capacity building and effective stewardship of knowledge and resources. HSN will accomplish this mission by delivering excellence in system improvement, ensuring effective resource management, and giving trustworthy expertise while always honoring people.
The Director of Communication and Public Affairs will lead the Communication and Public Affairs Department to successfully develop and execute strategies and tactics that promote the Central Florida Commission on Homelessness and the Homeless Services Network, its leaders and programs to all external stakeholders, including media, the public, partners, vendors, government and community leaders, as well as internal stakeholders, including HSN staff and the HSN Board of Directors. The Director of Communication and Public Affairs will bring experience and a proven track record of success to effectively oversee media and publicity, crisis communication and the development of strategies, content and tools that enhance the image and reputation of the Central Florida Commission on Homelessness and its members. The Director of Communication and Public Affairs will partner with his/her peers, including executive staff and program managers to ensure consistency of communications and messaging across the agency.
- A 4-year college degree in communications, marketing, public relations, business management, or journalism and 7 years of relevant experience. Media relations experience required.
- Two years of experience supervising staff, 5 years of experience working within homeless/housing industry preferred.
- Strong relationship builder and communicator. Highly collaborative style.
- Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, members, governmental bodies/boards and the general public.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communication discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels.
- Can point to tangible examples of reporting and program measurement and evaluation. Demonstrates integrity, strives for excellence in her/his work, and has experience of leading others to new levels of effectiveness and programmatic impact.
- Passionate about HSN’s mission and able to promote and communicate the philosophy, mission and values of HSN to external and internal stakeholders.
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives.
- Computer Skills: Must have knowledge of current database software, Internet software and the Microsoft Office Suite of products.
Compensation: $70,000 – $80,000
This job description is not intended to provide, and should not be construed as providing, an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with a job. They are meant to be accurate reflections of the principal job elements essential for making fair and informed decisions about the job.
Veterans, Persons of Color and Current or Formerly Homeless Persons are encouraged to apply.
Homeless Services Network of Central Florida [HSN] provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, HSN complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.