Housing Accounting Specialist
Supervised By: Finance Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt/Regular/Full-time
Effective Date: March 2020
How to apply: Email Cover Letter and Resume to email@example.com
Homeless Services Network (HSN) of Central Florida is committed to the vision of “Everyone making their way home.” HSN’s mission is leading the Central Florida’s community-wide effort to end homelessness through collaboration, strategy, capacity building and effective stewardship of knowledge and resources. HSN will accomplish this mission by Delivering excellence in system improvement; ensuring effective resource management; giving trustworthy expertise; while always honoring people.
The Housing Accounting Specialist (HAS) is responsible for providing detailed and precise financial data while delivering excellent customer service to landlords, property managers and case managers of tenants and prospective tenants who are participating in a Housing First program across Orange, Osceola and Seminole Counties. S/he will be responsible for maintaining accurate and prompt representation of the status of the agency’s housing inventory, beginning with the lease up process of the first tenant and continuing throughout the agency’s relationship with the property. S/he will also oversee the data and unit lease finances with landlords and case managers to deliver prompt and accurate rental logs to the finance department.
Skills and Abilities
Excellent customer service; ability to work with minimal supervision and exercise good judgement; strong verbal and written communication skills; data management, time management and problem-solving skills; organizational skills and ability to manage deadlines; ability to handle multiple tasks and manage competing demands; critical thinking, conflict resolution and interpersonal skills; excellent office computing skills.
Education and Experience
- Experience working with a team to overcome obstacles and achieve excellent results.
- A minimum of two (2) years of prior experience in accounting required. Two (2) years property management, sales or a related field is strongly preferred. A Bachelor’s degree may substitute for two (2) years of experience.
- Experience with subsidized housing programs a plus.
- Nonprofit experience a plus.
The position involves attention to detail and extensive organizational skills. The employee will work as part of a team as well as interface with clients, agencies and funders. The employee will spend significant portions of time in an office setting with some field work. The employee will likely encounter and be expected to address challenges associated with clients’ experiences with long-term homelessness, mental health and substance abuse concerns, and other barriers to obtaining decent, affordable housing.
- $45,000 – $50,000 annually; benefits package
- Interested applicants should submit cover letter, resume and a writing sample to HSNTeam@hsncfl.org with Housing Operations Matching Position in the subject line. Or submit Housing Inspection and Services; HSN; 4065 L.B. McLeod Road, Suite D, Orlando, FL 32811. Resumes will be accepted until position is filled. Interviews begin the week of April 20, 2020 and continue until filled.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Maintain and implement accurate landlord services tracking tools and ensure timely follow up to changes in lease status, rental amount, and Property Manager or Landlord information.
- Representation of rental housing inventory available.
- Representation of master leased unit occupancy
- Status of approved rental payments for units in program
- Identification of missing/late payments (agency or tenant rent)
- Documentation of lease requirements in regards to finance
- Validate Lease eligibility for payment
- Landlord information: W9, PM agreement, DBA Log
- Listing of recurring rent payments for active units/clients, updated monthly
- Other essential housing project data
- Other issues identified by Finance and Housing Operations Manager
- Receive and log tenant rental payments for Master Lease Tenants. Create and facilitate notices to Master Lease tenants if payments are delinquent.
- Create monthly housing inventory matrix by funding source for Housing Operations Manager, Grants and Finance Manager. Facilitate agency ability to run funding projections based on inventory matrix.
- Facilitate processing of and reporting on security deposits and move-in fees.
- Work with landlords to reduce or eliminate as many barriers to unit occupancy as possible.
- Partner with landlords to retain housing units, negotiate fees associated with the housing process. When appropriate, serve as a mediator between landlords, case managers and clients to quickly find solutions.
- Complete Homeless Management Information Systems (HMIS) training and demonstrate competency with all client data management tools available to the Housing Operations Team, including HMIS, excel, Abila and Salesforce.
- Perform duties of a liaison between the various housing authorities, landlords/property managers and partner agencies when assisting tenants through subsidized housing options.
- Communicate with partner agencies and the Coordinated Entry System to assist clients to explore alternative housing options and overcome barriers to housing.
- Maintain complete and accurate documentation of all data required for grant and contract reporting objectives and outcomes in accordance with all funding sources for this position and project.
- Participate in staff meetings and training as directed by Supervisor.
- Employ a teamwork approach and display a positive attitude toward fellow associates.
- Practice effective time-management and communications skills.
- Address all emails, phone calls and face to face concerns in a timely and professional manor.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Valid driver’s license in accordance with HSN Motor Vehicle Policy.
- Ability to use one’s personal vehicle for daily duties with reimbursement.
Conditions of Employment
Provision of satisfactory references, writing sample and completion of background investigation check
Completion of a pre-employment drug screening as well as post-employment drug or alcohol tests upon reasonable suspicion of use
Demonstrated computer literacy, which may be assessed through pre-employment testing.
Completion of HSN new employee orientation and ALL required paperwork prior to reporting to work
Compliance with all HSN Policies and Procedures.
Demonstrated passion about HSN’s mission with the ability to promote and communicate HSN’s philosophy, mission and values to external and internal stakeholders.
Knowledge of and experience with leasing process and payment cycles.
Knowledge of and experience in working with HMIS, Salesforce, Abila and other spreadsheets and databases.
Proficient in MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Access) and computer usage to include email, internet and presentations.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate in person or by telephone. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk and bend; to use his or her hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; and to reach with his or her hands and arms. The employee must also be able to sit for extended periods of time. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move object weighing up to 40 pounds.
This job description is not intended to provide, and should not be construed as providing, an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with a job. They are meant to be accurate reflections of the principal job elements essential for making fair and informed decisions about the job.
Veterans, Persons of Color and Current or Formerly Homeless Persons are encouraged to apply.
Homeless Services Network of Central Florida [HSN] provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, HSN complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.