Landlord Services & Housing Location Specialist
Department: Housing Operations
Supervised By: Housing Operations Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt/Regular/Full time
Effective Date: April 2020
How to apply: Email Cover Letter and Resume to email@example.com
Homeless Services Network (HSN) of Central Florida is committed to the vision of “Everyone making their way home.” HSN’s mission is leading the Central Florida’s community-wide effort to end homelessness through collaboration, strategy, capacity building and effective stewardship of knowledge and resources. HSN will accomplish this mission by Delivering excellence in system improvement; ensuring effective resource management; giving trustworthy expertise; while always honoring people.
The Landlord Services and Housing Location Specialist (LSHLS) is responsible for providing excellent customer service to landlords, property managers of tenants, and prospective/participating tenants who are engaged in a Housing First program across Orange, Osceola and Seminole Counties. They will be responsible for serving as the liaison between landlords/property managers, while meeting the needs of the Housing Operations Team (HOT) by assisting with unit Inspections and working with the team housing locator(s). They will inform the Housing Operations Manager of all participant, system, and program issues and accomplishments. Activities must comply with all grant requirements as well as federal, state, funding and city regulations. The LSHLS will:
- Maintain the list of currently and previously participating landlords all as well as recruitment of new property managers and landlords.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with landlords and property managers.
- Engage in the work that Housing Operations Team is doing with clients, landlords and case managers to facilitate linkage of clients with appropriate units as well as completion of the rental application, leasing and housing inspection processes.
- Maintain familiarity with and perform all housing-related activities in compliance with HSN grant, contract, and billing requirements.
- Report to the Housing Operations Manager and inform them of all system, community partner, and program-related issues and accomplishments.
- Participate in the development, maintenance and management of the housing inventory, weekly inventory, landlord list, billing spreadsheet and other electronic files.
- Ensure that all documentation and record-keeping is completed in compliance with federal, state and local laws and regulations.
- Engage with, support, and provide backup coverage to the work of HLT Housing Inspector. Ensure prompt, thorough (HQS) inspection process and appropriate record keeping for new placements as well as renewals.
Skills and Abilities
Ability to work with minimal supervision and exercise good judgement; strong verbal and written communication skills to include report creation; data entry; ability to handle multiple tasks and manage competing demands; critical thinking, problem solving and interpersonal skills; standard office computer skills and website development/management. Candidate must speak Spanish fluently.
The employee will spend significant portions of time in the field, as well as in an office environment that includes a mixture of hard walled offices and cubicles. Laptop computer and work cell phone will be made available if needed. The employee will work as part of a team as well as interface with clients, agencies and funders. This is a full-time position requiring 40 hours per week. Additional hours are occasionally required. Work generally occurs Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. but must be responsive to schedule of community partners.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Implement tri-county landlord support project to include, but not limited to
- Recruitment of new owners, landlords, property managers and units for participation when assigned
- Develop and implement opportunities to engage current and prospective landlords
- Develop and implement innovative strategies for one on one recruitment efforts
- Engage in community-building efforts to find a secure units hidden from traditional marketing channels like MLS.
- Provide support to existing property managers and units to ensure ongoing participation by landlords/owners and access to available units
- Prompt, effective resolution of concerns
- Assist with Appreciation events
- Monitor and maintain accurate records of unit and participating property records.
2. Ensure compliance with contracts and regulations to include, but not limited to,
- Documenting eligibility of units
- Rent Reasonableness
- Fair Market Rate
- Housing Quality Standards
- Protecting client privacy
3. Produce reports on effectiveness of the Team’s work and tracking all funder required data points as directed
4. Implement and lead a continuous quality improvement process, promoting regular and ongoing opportunities for all team members, HSN staff, landlords and partner service agencies to give feedback on program operations and use that information to refine housing program activities
5. Support Housing Location Teams to ensure engaged, motivated, successful, professional and effective team members
6. Ensure that all program activities operate consistently and ethically within the mission and values of HSN.
7. Negotiate lease terms, utility deposits, security deposits, and move-in fees. Work with Housing Accounting Specialist to communicate to landlords all efforts to reduce or eliminate as many barriers to entry as possible.
8. Participate in staff meetings and training as directed by Housing Operations Manager.
9. Employ a teamwork approach and display a positive attitude toward fellow associates.
10. Perform other duties as assigned.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Valid driver’s license in accordance with HSN Motor Vehicle Policy.
Conditions of Employment
- Satisfactory reference and background investigation checks
- Completion of a pre-employment drug screening and completion of post-employment drug or alcohol tests upon reasonable suspicion of use
- Demonstrated computer literacy through successful completion of pre-employment testing may be required.
- Completion of ALL required paperwork prior to reporting to work
- Participation in payroll electronic deposit
- Adherence to all HSN Personnel Policies
Annual Salary Range $35,000 – $40,000; benefits package
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to communicate in person or by telephone. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, reach, bend; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must sit for extended periods of time. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
- A minimum of two (2) years of prior experience in real estate, property management, sales or a related field is strongly preferred. A Bachelor’s degree may substitute for two (2) years of experience.
- At least 2 years of experience using real estate and property data bases to identify and successfully follow up on sales leads in a timely manner prefered
- Some experience with grant funded program regulations and compliance
- Strong relationship building and communication with experience leading diverse work teams, engaging community partners, landlords and property managers
- Proven ability to develop a strategy for program excellence including reporting, program measurement and evaluation
- Ability to work independently and exercise good judgement
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrates integrity, strives for excellence in her/his work, and has experience of leading others to new levels of effectiveness and programmatic impact
- Attention to details and extensive organizational skills
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of and experience with leasing activity and landlord/tenant rights and responsibilities.
- Knowledge of and experience in working with HMIS, Salesforce and other spreadsheets and databases.
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, PowerPoint and Excel) and computer usage to include email, internet and presentations.
- Experience inspiring teams to overcome obstacles to achieve superior results
- Passionate about HSN’s mission and able to promote and communicate the philosophy, mission and values of HSN to external and internal stakeholders
This job description is not intended to provide, and should not be construed as providing, an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with a job. They are meant to be accurate reflections of the principal job elements essential for making fair and informed decisions about the job.
Veterans, Persons of Color and Current or Formerly Homeless Persons are encouraged to apply.
Homeless Services Network of Central Florida [HSN] provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, HSN complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.